We’re a family-owned business which we work very hard to make Flushing’s Most Interesting Yoga Studio!
We created Yumcha Yoga because there simply weren’t any clean, welcoming and dedicated studios in Flushing, Queens for serious yoga practitioners. We wanted our class sizes to be small enough so that everyone could get enough attention from the teacher (something that’s just not possible in those huge gym/arena-style studios) and we also wanted the best possible experience for our yogis, so we curated some of the best yoga teachers in the whole of New York City to come all the way out here to share their experience and wisdom. We also regularly organize special workshops and classes, and also our annual Yoga in the Garden in association with Flushing Town Hall, just to keep things fresh for our yogis! Join our friendly and totally non-judgmental community, and refresh your mind, body and spirit!
The founder of Yumcha Studios is Dr. Yen Yen Woo, who was awarded the prestigious Spencer Foundation Doctoral Research Fellowship at Columbia University’s Teachers College. She is now a tenured Associate Professor at Long Island University’s College of Education and Information Sciences.
Dr. Woo and her creative partner and husband, Colin Goh, are also international award-winning film directors and screenwriters. Their last feature film, “Singapore Dreaming” (2006), won several major awards, including the Montblanc Screenwriters Award at the San Sebastian International Film Festival and the Best Asian Film Award at the Tokyo International Film Festival. It has been screened in many countries worldwide, including the Smithsonian Institute and the Brooklyn Museum of Art in the US.
Woo and Goh moved to Flushing in 2008 and were struck by not only its cultural diversity, but also its dynamic spirit. “Flushing is one of the most entrepreneurial cities I have ever lived in,” says Woo. “It’s full of people trying to make it, with whatever resources they have.”
In 2011, inspired by Flushing’s cultural mix and great food, Woo and Goh started Yumcha Studios, a multimedia content production company that publishes the critically-acclaimed bilingual comic series “Dim Sum Warriors”, which has been featured by Time, the BBC, Public Radio International, and the New York Times. It recently earned an Honorable Mention in Publishers Weekly’s Critics Poll of the Best Graphic Novels of 2012, and was ranked #5 on Fast Company’s Top 10 Coolest Original Digital Comics of 2012.
The stress of juggling her academic, film and publishing careers, not to mention being the mother of a rambunctious 4 year-old, made Woo decide to start a yoga studio. “I know it sounds crazy to start a business to calm down,” laughs Woo. “But practicing yoga has given me the necessary focus, calm and energy so that I can still pursue all my interests.” And she would like to share this with the other busy folks of Flushing. “My dream is that Yumcha Yoga can be a sanctuary where locals can take a break from the hustle and bustle to restore their bodies and minds. Yoga is the best way I know of to calm down, get fit, focus on our humanity and making our world a better place.”
- SHOES – Please remove your shoes when you enter the studio.
- CELL PHONES – Please turn off your cell phone completely during class.
- SMELLS – Please do not use strong perfume and make sure your clothing smells fresh to ensure a pleasant environment for all yogis.
- DRESS CODE – All yogis must wear a shirt and pants or shorts for practice to ensure a hygienic environment for everyone.
- All sales are final.
- Packages are non-refundable and memberships cannot be frozen for any period of time. No extensions or transfers will be granted. Membership sharing is not permitted.
- All packages (except the Auto-Debit option) must be activated (used for the first time) within one month of purchase.
- All unlimited memberships (except the Auto-Debit option) activate on date of first visit after the current package ends. But they all have to be activated within a month of purchase.
- Schedules and fees are subject to change without notice.
- If you have an expiring Class Card, you can “refresh” your class cards by buying a new class card BEFORE the expiration date (10 classes or above). Whatever time is allotted the new card will be extended to the old card. So, if you purchase a new 10 class card, 3 months will be added to the old card; 20 class card, 6 months will be added. And the time on your new class card will only start counting when you start using it.
AUTO-DEBIT $122/ MONTH
- Monthly auto-debit conveniently billed to your credit card.
- Suitable for those who practice 2 to 3 times a month.
- This contract is for a minimum of 6 months.
- Billing will take place on the sale date every month.
- You can freeze the account for up to 2 weeks after 3 months (from activation or re-activation). Breaking up the freeze is not allowed. For example, you cannot break up the freeze into one week in the 4th month and one week in the 5th month.
- Please give 7 days’ notice for freezing the account.
- After 6 months, please give 14 days’ notice through email at firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel the auto-debit.
- All mats must be stored with a mat bag and your name prominently tagged on a masking tape.
- Only students with current unlimited memberships or existing class cards can store their mats.
- Students whose memberships have expired or have no class cards please remove your mats or the studio will have to remove them to provide space for current members.
We don’t typically take pictures during classes, but will take pictures during special events which we will announce.
Registrant consent for Photography
When you attend a Yumcha Yoga event or program, you enter an area where photography, audio, and video recording may occur. By attending the event, you consent to interview(s), photography, audio recording, video recording and its/their release, publication, exhibition, or reproduction to be used for news, web casts, promotional purposes, telecasts, advertising, inclusion on websites, or any other purpose by Yumcha Yoga and its affiliates and representatives. You release Yumcha Yoga, its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with the taking, recording, digitizing, or publication of interviews, photographs, computer images, video and/or or sound recordings.
By attending the event, you waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any exhibition, streaming, web casting, televising, or other publication of these materials, regardless of the purpose or sponsoring of such exhibiting, broadcasting, web casting, or other publication irrespective of whether a fee for admission or sponsorship is charged. You also waive any right to inspect or approve any photo, video, or audio recording taken by Yumcha Yoga or the person or entity designated to do so by Yumcha Yoga. You have been fully informed of your consent, waiver of liability, and release before entering the event.