Welcome! We are excited that you are beginning your yoga journey with Yumcha! Here are FAQs that might be helpful to you. If your questions have not been answered, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I register?
You can arrive at the studio 15 minutes before class to register or you can register online through our web site. We accept payment by cash and credit cards.
Where do I park?
Students who drive to the studio have found parking at the following locations:
- the street lots on Farrington Street (if you’re lucky!)
- the metered lots on Farrington Street closer to Northern Blvd (outside Marco hotel)
- the metered lots on Northern Blvd.
- the street lots on 32nd Ave ( it gets darker on 32nd Ave at night but we usually have students walking there after class at night)
- the street lots on Linden Ave
What class should I choose?
- If you are new to yoga, choose classes that are beginner-friendly: Vinyasa, Foundations, Yin-Restorative, Stress-Buster.
- Our classes are mostly “open level” – which means that the teacher will provide various options for poses. Stay with an option that feels comfortable for you.
- Those who want a faster-paced, sweatier practice can choose warm Vinyasa, Flexibility, or Power classes.
- More meditative classes would include Stress-Buster, Yin-Restorative
- For a full description of classes, go to Types of Classes.
What should I wear?
Light, comfortable clothing that provides ease of movement. Women often wear yoga pants and men often wear basketball shorts or sweatpants. Avoid large t-shirts (makes it hard to breathe when you are bending forward) and short shorts. Bring a long-sleeve shirt or sweatshirt to put on at the end of class as your body will get colder during cool-down poses. No shoes in the studio.
What should I bring?
- Yoga mat (if you don’t have one, we have mats for rent ($2) and mats for sale ($19) in the studio)
- Towel (for wiping your sweat. If you’re attending a warm vinyasa class, a large towel to cover your mat would be useful. We also have mat towels for rent ($2))
- Water (we also have water for sale $1)
What should I do before class?
- Avoid a heavy meal two hours before class. Try not to eat at least an hour before class.
- Plan to arrive 10 minutes early. Classes begin promptly. It’s important not to be late for class so that you don’t miss the warm-up. Otherwise there is the danger of injury if the body is not warmed-up properly.
- Make sure you let the teacher know if you are new to yoga or have any injuries, pain or sensitivity.
- The studio has two restrooms/ changing rooms and cubicles to store your belongings
- Leave your cell phone outside the studio or turn it completely OFF if you have it in the studio with you. It will give you and others a much more peaceful practice.
What to expect in practice?
- If you are new to practice, take a spot in the back of the room so that you have people to follow.
- You might find yourself looking around at what other people are doing the first few times as you get used to the poses.
- Listen to your body. If you feel any pain at all, or feel tired, rest in child’s pose. You don’t have to follow every pose the teacher calls out. It is most important to listen to your body.
- Breathe! Make sure your breath is even. Teachers will talk about “Ujjayi breathing” – this means breathing through your nose, with your mouth closed, with an oceanic sound (or what some people call, Darth Vader breath).
- Ask lots of questions after class!
What should I do after class?
- Drink lots of water (not cold)
- You might feel some soreness in muscles that you have not worked on in a while